Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Crockpot Tortilla Soup

I thought for sure I had already posted this recipe but I can't find it anywhere so here it is again. I recently made it at a party that we had at our house and had a few people ask for it. This is the ONLY soup that Shad gets excited about (It must be the cilantro). I just love how easy it is to throw together. Always my go to when I have extra cilantro in the fridge waiting to go bad. I keep all other ingredients in my food storage just for those occasions.

I usually half this recipe for our little family and do it in our little crockpot. I also adjust a little because putting in a half can of something seems dumb.

2-3 chicken breast halves
2T. butter
1 garlic clove, minced (sometimes I do two)
1 cup salsa
2 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth (sometimes I add one more, for kicks)
2 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 T. ground cumin
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (about one bunch)
1 can black beans
cheese (cubed- shredded is ok too but we love the gooey pockets of the cubed. Yum!)
sour cream (optional- we don't use)
tortilla chips

Boil chicken. Shred (or just throw in raw and shred at the end- my preference) Saute garlic in butter. Combine all other ingredients in crockpot except for cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips. Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high for 4-5. Sprinkle with crushed up chips, sour cream, and cubed cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment